Woodruff Energy has been supplying energy since 1869.
Woodruff Energy’s history began in 1869 when the Woodruff family started selling coal at their farm in Upper Deerfield Township. John S. Woodruff (1829-1904) also had a produce shipping operation at the same location. Warren C. Woodruff (1870-1944) continued to farm and sell coal during the winter time until the coal operations were taken over on a full time basis by George J. Woodruff (1904-1969) who moved the operation into Bridgeton in 1928 to its current address of 73 Water Street. He became the first coal dealer in this area to sell fuel oil in 1931 and then expanded the business into heating installation and service soon after.
After World War II, the company grew its fuel oil business rapidly and began offering air conditioning service. In 1957 and 1958, fourth generation Woodruffs—J. Alan and Robert A. joined the company. In 1959, the company began to offer motor fuels throughout Cumberland and Salem Counties with the purchase of the old Gulf Oil barge terminal on Water Street which has a large petroleum storage capacity. The Woodruff brothers jointly ran the company after 1969 when George passed, and expanded its operations into Vineland, Elmer, and Millville through numerous acquisitions of other oil dealers.
In 1993, 5th generation Robert A. Woodruff, Jr. joined the firm. He began Woodruff Oil’s natural gas operations in 1996 when the product became de-regulated. In 1997 the company changed its name from Woodruff Oil Company to Woodruff Energy. In 2003, Alan Woodruff retired after 46 years of service. In 2006, Bob Woodruff, Sr. who had been President of the company since 1994, brought Bob Woodruff, Jr. into the top spot as Co-President. Then in 2009, Bob Jr. became the President as Bob Sr. stepped back to Senior Vice President. In 2018, Bob Sr. retired after over 60 years of service.
In 2013, the company began marketing propane, and in 2016 completed the installation of a state of the art propane terminal on Water Street in Bridgeton. In 2017, Woodruff Energy modernized their services and updated their website to offer online bill pay, online ordering, and online service requests for the first time. That year, Woodruff Energy also fully renovated their existing office building on Water Street. In 2018, Woodruff Energy added plumbing services to the company’s tool belt.
Today, under the leadership of Robert A. Woodruff, Jr., the company’s expanded territory covers Cumberland, Salem, Gloucester, and Atlantic Counties. Woodruff Energy currently offers a wide range of products and services including fuel oil, diesel, gasoline, propane, plumbing service, and a full heating and air conditioning department that specializes in servicing and installing equipment. Woodruff Energy also markets commercial natural gas throughout the entire state of New Jersey.
In an effort to give back to their community, Woodruff Energy has supported many local organizations and non-profits over the years. Woodruff Energy offers the Anne S. Woodruff Scholarship, sponsors many youth sports teams, and supports community outreach programs such as the Bridgeton Police Athletic League. Several Woodruff Energy employees deliver for Meals on Wheels of Salem County weekly. Woodruff Energy is also active in many clubs and organizations including Bridgeton Rotary and several local chambers of commerce. The Woodruff Family is also very involved with local programs including The Bay Atlantic Symphony, Woodstown Heat Baseball Program, and The Boy Scouts of America.